The Remodel

Click to expand each section, there are many images and videos on this page.

The beginning

Here are some additional pictures of the upstairs kitchen and bathroom. Both have been removed now, not that I don't like pink, but come on now look at these

9101

9101

9101

9101

9101

9101

9101

Pre demo

We had to get the house 'cleaned up' for final inspection from the bank's appraiser. Since it was as-is from the foreclosed bank, I did the repairs. Fairly minimal overall, except 3 steel beams that had to be added to the basement wall.


We didn't have to paint, but this room is going to need to be liveable for awhile, so painting it ended up being a good idea.

9101

The list included adding trim around 4 windows and the back door
Adding 3 pieces (half-pieces or smaller) of drywall to walls with exposed studs
front-door didn't open easily
the (then master) bathroom floor was missing pieces of linoleum
the back of the house had a strip of missing siding

9101

9101

The demo

The minute the appraiser left...

Let the tear-down begin

Trust me, putting up drywall and mudding on a wall I knew was going away was frustrating, but had to be done and we made quick work of it


We already signed up for Google Fiber, so had to tear off the previous era's means of TV

9101

9101

9101

9101

9101

9101

9101

9101

9101

9101

9101

The stairs

The stairs were very '1926' and needed to be replaced. They were narrow and dangerous.

Once we had the walls removed on the main level. I built the new supporting wall and cut the upstairs rafters out. Then framed the stairs.

9101

9101

9101

9101

9101

9101

The Kitchen

The cabinets in the kitchen were gross. Some had mold, most had deep grease stains that we tried to clean, but they were bad.

Of course, I had to change up the layout, swapping the stove and sink to different sides, moving fridge to other side and removing the old basement stair way door.

The wall between the living room and kitchen I felt would look better has a half-wall with a bar. It opens the kitchen up to more light and definitely makes it feel bigger.

Once we tore up the original floor they had these staples that were incredibly difficult to remove, so we used rugs over winter so we didn't step on the ones we missed. In the end, we pounded the rest of them flat into the floor and put linoleum over it. The pictures are missing the old sink area which had to be completely replaced due to water damage.

9101

9101

9101

9101

9101

9101

9101

9101

9101

9101

9101

9101

9101

9101

9101

Other indoor progress pictures

The future master bedroom is currently a workplace and has all the tools and supplies organized in it

0801

I wired an outlet on the outside and we put up some holiday decor

0801

0801

The gas never got turned on because there was a leak (which I found out later and fixed). But due to some technical issues, I needed to make quick work with something to heat the house over winter. This worked very well. Can't say I know too many people that heat their house with Diesel fuel.

missing

Septic was draining very slow

Pretty much since move in we noticed water wasn't flowing as efficiently as it should be. I had the line snaked in the fall, but it still wasn't great over winter. In the spring we had to replace 25 foot of line from the main back toward the house. Luckily I knew a guy who knew a guy and we got it done cheap. We dug down about 9 feet right to the brick main line. We added 2 clean outs, just below the surface so we could snake easier should the tree roots pose a problem down the road.

missing

missing

Outside

Up until this point my focus has been on the inside of the house, the pictures above I think make this apparent, but the outside couldn't be neglected any longer.

Before moving in, I found a deal to have some trees trimmed up and a few stumps removed. However this brush was still laying around and I hadn't had time to move forward with anything else.

The lawn was mostly weeds, so getting Scott's Lawncare out to treat it was a must

My parents then visited and helped with the 'vision' portion as well as clean up

Dad was not impressed by my solar landscape lights, so better ones were installed

The well was turned into a fountain/pond and left to look 'rustic'

missing

missing

missing

missing

missing

missing

missing

3 progression videos

About 1 year into the project (video)

About 2 years into the project (video)

About 2 1/2 years into the project (video)

The Wall

The embankment along the driveway was washing into the driveway and it was hard to get grass to grow on it, while also keeping it mowed. We opted to remove the mostly dead tree, old concrete steps. We also opted to give the driveway some breathing room for vehicles.

missing

missing

missing

missing

missing

missing

missing

missing

The Furnace

Up until this point we had relied on a series of electric heaters and the diesel heater for winter. It was noisy, smelly and cold since we couldn't keep the whole house a consistent temperature. We pushed for the refinance in October and got the funding needed to put in a whole new HVAC system in November 2017. This included all new duct work for both stories as well as Furnace, AC and humidifier. It took them 5 days in total to complete the work and we're very happy with the results. Our house had never been this comfortable. We have a gas bill now as the furnace was the first gas appliance, but even with this, our utility bill is so much better than previous winters.

missing

missing

missing

missing

missing

missing